About Us

HISTORY OF Church Park A.I Teacher Training Institute.,

CHENNAI – 600 006

This Training Institute was founded by the Irish Presentation Sisters who came to India in the year 1842. The Institute is under the Management of the Presentation Sisters whose founder is Venerable Nano Nagle.

Church Park Anglo-Indian Teacher
Training Institute was opened by Mother Xavier Murphy on 15thJanuary
1912. The Institute started with Rev. Mother Xavier Murphy as the Principal,
Mother M.Berchamans Murphy, Sr. M. Cecilia Murphy and Miss Corversor as the
assistants.

Rev. Mother Xavier Murphy had
travelled for the purpose of this mission to England.
Many courses like cooking, drawing, tailoring were given for the trainees as
part of this training programme.

In 1912 the sisters saw the need
for trained Anglo – Indian lady teachers and began the Teacher’s Training
Institute at George Town. Later it was shifted to Church Park on 15.01.1919. It
was officially designated as “Church Park Training School for Women,
Teynampet”, on 25.03.1919.The present area was occupied in 1925. The sisters
saw the need for better administrative structure and hostel facilities for the
teacher trainees. The present building was completed in the year 2009.School recognition
under the Code of Regulations for Anglo-Indian schools was received from the
Director of Public Instruction, Madras Vide has proceedings Dis.No. 1488/26,
dated 16.04.1926; and from NCTE F.TN/ELE/SRO/NCTE/2001-2002/7910; Dated:
20.09.2001.

This prestigious Institution, had
completed its Golden Jubilee in the year 1962, its Platinum Jubilee in the year
1987.

The centenary celebrations
started on 15th January 2012. Its logo for the centenary year was,
“Empowering Women through Education”.

The Principals over the years
were

Rev. Mother Xavier Murphy from
15.01.1912 to 31.12.1913;

Sr. M. Cecilia Murphy 01.01.1914
to 08.02.1915;

 Ms. Corvessor 09.02.1915 to 31.12.1927;

Sr. M. Patricia O’Neill
01.01.1928 to 31.12.1936;

Rev. M. Teresita Anderson
01.01.1937 to 31.12.1942;

Rev. Mother Teresa Moore (Mother
General) 01.01.1943 to 31.12.1944;

Sr. M. Christine Loghuran01.01.1945
to 31.12.1955;

 Sr. M. EuchariaGunnigan01.01.1956 to
29.10.1958;

Sr. M. JosephaMcEvoy 29.10.1958
to 31.01.1964;

 Sr. M. ConsiliaSan Lazaro 01.02.1964 to
28.08.1978 and 26.09.1980 to 24.06.1982;

Sr. M. PamelaMarsland 29.08.1978
to 25.09.1980 and 25.06.1982 to 30.04.1991;

Sr. Anita Stephen 01.06.1991 to
31.05.1999;

Sr. L Amalarani 01.06.1999 to
30.06.2001;

Sr. Gracy Thomas 01.07.2001 to
17.06.2002;

Sr. PrabhaPuthota 18.06.2002 to
02.06.2008;

Sr. PreethiChacko 03.06.2008 to
30.04.2014;

Mrs. L Amalarani 01.07.2014 to
30.04.2016

Sr. MeenaThangam 01.05.2016 till
date.